Finding God

We sometimes feel like we are living in a godless world. It is hard to endure the hardships this world has to offer and then ask, where is God in all of this. Please join me in my journey through life where I try to find God in my struggles, sorrows, successes and in my joy!

Once, when I was sad, I said to a kind old priest,
“have you learned any secrets to unburden the heart?”
And he responded, “Hum a favorite melody;
wine will always rise to the top of oil.”
-Catherine of Siena

Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Father Who Keeps His Promises

Just a couple weeks ago, I posted that I was leaving my job on moral grounds. I had no clue where I would be going or what I would be doing. However, I trusted God to take care of me. Yes, I was worried, and yes, I was afraid. But I continued to trust in God. I knew that I was doing the right thing and even if it landed me pennyless and on the streets, I knew it would be for the glory of God.

However, that is so not the case! Within says of my announcement I received calls for interviews. Calls from jobs I had applied to as well as jobs to which I had not applied. I sent my resume to people I knew in the San Antonio Archdiocese and it was not long before my resume was everywhere and I received more interest than I knew what to do with.

I had never applied for a job, had an interview and had an offer in less than a week - let alone two offers! By Wednesday of this week, I had an offer at St. Pius X as their Adult Religious Formation Manager and a second offer at the San Antonio Archdiocese in their Marriage and Family Life Office.

I also had a meeting with the Director of Pastoral Ministries who was so impressed with me that she wanted to create a position for me. However, due to the recession, that was not possible. I followed up on a few other applications I had sent in, they were also very interested but not far enough in the process to make any offers. They asked me if I could hold off a few weeks. Unfortuntely, the offers I had needed answers and I could not wait.

So I took a few days to think it over and weight my options. My decision was not to be based on material things such as money or anything like that. Instead, I based it on where I feel God is calling me.

On the one hand, work in the Parish is very valuable experience and I would be able to directly teach people and, hopefully, help them develop a stronger, more intimate relationship with Christ. On the other hand, the position at the Archdiocese would get my foot in the door and give me the ability to support the very important mission of educating all the faithful in San Antonio on the Catholic Teachings of Marriage and Family Life. Plus I had not applied to this job - it sought me out.

In the end, I chose to go with St. Pius X. When praying about it, I felt that I would be more authentically me in that position - I think I could do the most good there and that God has the most need of me there.

It was with great regret to say no to the Archdiocese, but I do feel like I made the right decision. A decision that I could have only made with a committment to prayer and discerning God's Will.

I am utterly amazed at how quickly this all happened. God certainly keeps His promises and I have no fear that God will continue to provide so long as I continue to discern His will for me, to love Him and to serve Him as well as His people, my brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment